Hi there. I was a busy bee today and wanted to show one of things I worked on. I’ve found what I think is a perfect palette for my Ranger Distress Inks. I’ve struggled with some place to put them all – where they are labeled, covered and ready to go. Why? Because I know if they are ready to go, I’ll use them. So this is what I’ve come up with. (Click on any of the pictures to get a larger view).
|I found this palette of watercolors at Michaels for $4.99 and an additional 40% off with my coupon. I told ya I was a thrifty gal ;-)|
|I scooped out the watercolors and ended up with an empty palette like this. I cleaned it enough that my rinse water ran clear then I dried each well to make sure no excess color remained. The watercolors stained some of the glue residue but it won’t matter.|
|On the Ranger site, they have all the Distress Ink colors listed and sorted by color group. The grid can be downloaded HERE. Following the chart I wrote each color name in its own well with a Ultra Fine Point Sharpie and allowed the Sharpie to dry.|
|Using the eye dropper that comes with each reinker, I let out one generous drop of color in each well. By the way, on the left clear side of the open palette each of the round spots is concave which means I’ll be able to use the left hand side for mixing custom colors. There are currently 36 colors in the collection and coincidentally, there are 36 wells in this palette.|
|There was room enough to throw in two little brushes before closing the lid. I’m all set :-)|
|Extra Note: Sigh . . . removing the watercolor cakes from the palette! There are lots of different watercolor sets on the market at different prices. I know that for many of my sets, the adhesive is so tentative that the cakes come loose on their own. I hoped that would be the case with this palette, but it was not to be – the adhesive held on for dear life. If I were a patient soul then I would have tried microwaving to melt the glue or perhaps could have dislodged them by jarring them. I really wanted to get finished with this quickly and ultimately soaked them out. Oh my, it was messy. My recommendation is to deal with the cakes dry so that you don’t have so much of a cleanup issue, plus you’ll be able to salvage the cakes for another project :-) The way I did it today was a worst case scenario – I spent about an hour at the sink rinsing and cleaning with a toothbrush and Softscrub. I’m still pleased with the result and when I go back to do this for my Adirondack Reinkers, I’m totally prepared.|
ETA: Someone asked if the colors will dry out. Not for a long, long time. I have had smaller palettes that still have wet drops in them. If I suspect it will ever dry out though, It will be simple enough to put it into a plastic bag.
Thanks for stopping by! Take good care :-)